Wednesday 20 June 2012

WIP Wearable Wednesday

For me yarn started off as a hobby, something to make things like blankets, tea cozies, little crochet amigurumi but not wearable projects. 


I thought a knitted sweater was outdated, old fashion and not flattering at all. But the more I got into knitting, the more I started to appreciate a handmade garment. I finally realized that a handmade item can be both a joy to make as well as a to wear. There is nothing better than to choose your own colours, the perfect pattern and the perfect material. 

Lately when browsing the Ravelry pattern page (which I try to as little as I can, since I tend to forget time completely), I notice that I eyeball mostly sweaters, hats, scarves, etc. 

So when my sister in law graduated I knew I had to make her something wearable. 


You can probably guess what it is right? A little hat! 


You knit this project inside out, so from this side it looks like a normal rib pattern. But from the inside in looks like this:


Little bumps made by a broken rib pattern (which is knitting one row and k1, p1 on the next assuming that you would also work inside out). 

The yarn is some old yarn from a local chain store Wibra (probably only know by the Dutch) which is perfect for this little project. I enjoy making this project so much, I know there will follow many more hats!

The pattern for this hat is a free pattern called Graham by Jennifer Adams and so far I enjoy knitting this pattern. The hardest part will now start, neatly decrease the stitches and closing it up. I hope to present the end result on Friday :-). 


Check out Tami's Amis for some more WIP's and I hope to see you all on Friday!

xxx


PS: Sorry for the bad picture quality, I took them with my phone. 




12 comments:

  1. so pretty, the yarn is the most beautiful subtle rainbow of colour - your sister-in-law is very lucky :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty little hat it is too! She is going to love this! Also the yarn is really interesting, it almost looks like handspun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!
    Personally, I don't know how you avoid the pattern page; I go there all the time to see what's new, to see what I can make with less than 300 yards of cotton, to see what's free, and... hmm... yeah I can go hang out on there for hours. Maybe you're doing the smart thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the yarn, so pretty and works so well with the pattern, what a nice looking stitch detail. I'm sure your sister in law will love it.

    I started out crocheting all the time, but I am getting drawn into more and more knitted stuff, I have to say I find it a lot slower, but I love what can be produced. I definitely have a jumper in me in the next few months ready for the autumn maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous yarn colours. I bet your sister loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that yarn is gorgeous such beautiful colours. I can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking lovely, I like the mixture of colours that you have! hope you decrease the stitches successfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The delicateness of your yarn really shines through in this pattern. Don't fret ... you'll do great with your decreases!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pics, and groovy hat. I've started a hat binge too!! they are just so nice and quick to knit, haven't made one for myself yet though :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice hat! I'd love to see it finished on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty! I've had that pattern queued for a while, I will definitely try it!
    Ooh, here in Belgium we have Wibra too ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Something on your mind?