Friday 27 April 2012

3KCBWDAY5 - Something Different: yarn planting

Hello and welcome to my fourth post in this lovely blog week! I'm enjoying very much so far, you too? I never post this many in one week, the posting isn't that hard to do but I'm behind on reading your blogs! I'll catch up and take a peek at all your lovely blogs, since that is what makes blog week so fun!

Enough with the rambling.

I think all knitters and crocheters would love to be able to buy a wide variety of yarn, but in times of financial crisis one cannot afford to visit the local yarnstore every week. So, you have to be creative. No problem for us crafters, right?

I might have a solution for all our problems. Free yarn.


Free?



Yes! Free!



You can multiply all the yarn you love.


How, you ask?



Yarn planting!

Here's a little tutorial on yarn planting.

Most of us keep our yarn in boxes, baskets or cabins away from the light. But what if you didn't? Get your favorite yarn and put them in the window. Hello sunshine!

Now you will have to have a little patience, but after a week your yarn will start to sprout!



This is the moment to plant your yarn. I only have limited space, since I live in an appartment. But don't worry, you will only need a small pot. You can even plant it in a pot in the window. Yarn does grow better when it has lots of space. My balcony is only suited for thin yarn, for bulky yarn you will need more space.





Once your yarn is planted just take care of it like any other plant. Some water, some nutricion and lots and lots of light. Especially the lighter colours. Dark colours can also grow in the shadow, like my blue yarn.

After some love you will see some plants growing!


I took one out that I planted earlier so I can show you how it looks:

I also got a yarn plant that is already full grown, every year in spring it gets little yarn flowers! So cute! The only sad thing is that these flowers don't give a lovely smell. Ah well, can't have it all right? 


So now I just have to wait until autumn, that is the worst part...the waiting. Little balls of yarn will grow slowly from the little flowers, similar to the way orange grow. The more you wait, the bigger they will get. Once autumn has arrived I will be able to harvest all my pretty yarn just in time for cold weather. Perfect for knitting! 

Just a little note, you can't plant acrylic yarns. They have to be organic, so any wool type and cotton. 

Can't wait to see all your yarn plants growing, tell me if you've grown your own yarn plants. I'm curious to see different type! 

Have a great day! 




25 comments:

  1. That is so sweet, made me giggle, thank you. Now I know how to solve my waning stash problems :D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the yarn plant !!
    can't wait to plant one and have my first skeins grown :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it could only work like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha.. just imagine the gardens of yarn lovers...beds and beds of colour..with patio pots full of wooly blossom.. mind you, cotton flowers are very similar so maybe creation has a plan! Great post! Hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely brilliant, I must go and find some compost now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb! The kids are growing sunflowers but THIS would be a much better use of soil, water and sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah... if only.. All my balconies would be full with pots of yarn plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, I will start a couple of these off on the windowsill this weekend. They can be planted out next to my money tree! :)
    Seriously, a very clever idea and well photographed!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heeheehee, this is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me SMILE!!! Wouldn't we wish this were so ;-)
    Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wouldn't that be amazing?! The yarn plant is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll be glad to hear I've just been out and dug up the vegetables so that I can use the veg patch for this much better use....I can't wait for all my new cotton and wool to grow.

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how cool is this!! My daughter is a knitter.....there are boxes of yarn in everyone of her drawers, under her bed, in her closet...maybe they were growing this whole time and no one knew it!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is too cute. If only it would work. My yard would be full of those plants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that would be soooo cool!! Especially since every "real" plant is fading away under my care - maybe I'd be luckier with this species!

    Grrrrrrrreat post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! and one question, the yarn plants, do they only come in the color of the original plant?? Tee hee, love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome!!! Too bad I don't have much planting space at my apartment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a terrific post!! Love it and great photos. The little yarn flowers are so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that these yarn plants come already dyed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would like to live in this perfect world where I could plant my own yarn! Great post, very imaginative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that last picture of your yarn flowers. Cute! I would also talk to my yarn plants because I heard that they like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an imaginative post! You have such a cute blog! I'm glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hehe, great post, your little yarn flowers are so sweet. Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahahaha, awesome! Brings a whole new meaning to growing your stash

    ReplyDelete

Something on your mind?